Been the final step to any privateer team in the LMGTE scene, the LMGTE-Am never saw its future to be so uncertain as it is for the next years, much of it due to the regaining popularity of the LMGTE-Pro class in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Last Sunday (16) we saw the Pro-Am based class ending the FIA WEC opener 6 Hours of Silverstone in incredible fashion as newcomers from Clearwater Racing snatched a last lap win from Spirit of Race and Aston Martin Racing, but even good races may not save the class if the Pro ranks receive an increased number of competitors.
This week Sportscar365 reported that FIA WEC supremo Gerard Neveu said that the LMGTE-Pro success may be factor if all the rumored entries join the competition. At the moment the Pro class counts with 8 entries from four different manufacturers while the Am side has five entries, and LMGTE-Pro will see BMW joining the battle next year while Lamborghini evaluates building a Huracán GTE model, and add to that rumors of McLaren joining the class, leveraged during the GT convergence discussions some years ago. The World Championship status given last year to the top GT class add allure for these manufacturers to get in and face the existing competition.
Add to the case the fact that LMGTE-Am had a decline in grid numbers and big names of the class moved to other classes, as the cases of Julien Canal, David Heinemeier-Hansson and François Perrodo, and others have even left the championship, as the examples of Khaled Al Qubaisi, Larbre Competition and KCMG.
Neveu explained that once the time when GTE-Pro grid get around 15 entries they will start pondering if it's worth to maintain GTE-Am around, as the main concern is specially in the total entry numbers as they want to keep the maximum of 32 cars, which should keep good the aspects of logistics and costs.
Although this fact would raise the attention of the current competitors, Neveu said that the GTE rearrangement would not come into effect immediately.
PHOTO: FIA WEC